Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas Eve Everyone,

My favorite season is not winter, spring, summer or fall.  It is the Christmas Season.  For me, it is nostalgic.  So many treasured memories to recall and cherish.  I had a wonderful childhood.  My parents were loving, caring and giving.  They made sure that I got everything I needed, not necessarily everything I wanted.  However, I remember one Christmas, I asked for a TV.  Mom said, sorry honey we can't afford it.  I then asked for a stereo.  Mom said sorry honey, we can't afford it.  I asked for a cassette player.  She said, I am sorry sweetie, we can't afford it.  I stopped asking.   On Christmas morning, all three items were beneath the tree from Santa.  Somehow Santa could do what Mom and Dad could not.  Magical time of the year.

This past week was very bittersweet for me.  On Thursday I was out with my new friend Gail.  We decorated her house for the Doylestown Christmas House Tour and she wanted to meet for dinner.  I love Cafe America, so I offered my choice.  As we finished eating our delicious meal and were wrapping up our conversation...we were there for 2 hours....  (we did not have much to talk about!!) I received a call from an unknown phone number.  I chose not to take the call.  They continued calling, about 3 more times, so I picked it up.

 A few years ago I had a student, James Fiorelli.  His Aunt Sarah was on the phone telling me, that James passed away.  I couldn't catch my breath.  I loved James.  I greeted him everyday at the bus and he stayed with us until I watched him get on the bus in the afternoon.  I waited until the bus pulled away everyday, for years.  I am very very sad over the loss of our James.  I went to his parents home, where I found them devastated over their loss.  I cried with them.  There was nothing more I could do.   I told them that I loved him dearly and that I would pray for their family.  Then I said, you know, the goal in our faith is to go home to Jesus.  And James will be with Jesus this Christmas.  How beautiful!  I told his parents that they were wonderful, loving, giving parents who taught James manners.  I would happily take him with me everywhere I went in the building.  Whenever people saw James, they saw me, and whenever they saw me, they saw James. James was so social.  He loved people.  I would brief him as we walked the hallways mentioning all the teachers and students names that I knew and he would say Good Morning, or Good Afternoon.  When yearbooks were distributed, he was able to secure the signature of our superintendent, because he called him by name!  I was fortunate to spend the better part of everyday with this cherub.  This very tall, very happy go lucky cherub.  I know this was truly a gift in my life.  James was my teacher of life lessons.

I shared some ideas with his Mom and Dad.  As I texted the ideas, requesting permission to help with the memory table, if there was to be one, Rosanne texted back....Yes to all your ideas.  

As I mentioned I loved James....  I love all my students.... and since the terrible tragedy in CT, I have decided that although I will not touch them, hug them or show affection toward them, because our goal is to have them be appropriate toward everyone at all times, I will share my feelings verbally, through my words.   And I save memorabilia from our students.  We have a Wall of Fame in our Classroom, B 101.  When the students graduate, over time their pictures and mementos come down.  I save everything.  And so I went to my memory box and found all my things from James.  I have his handwriting, his words, his art work, his pictures.   I have a collection for the memory table that is so touching and heartfelt that I truly believe it expresses the kind of person James was, his essence, and will honor him in the way Rosanne expressed to me that she wanted to do with this Celebration of James' Life.  Thank you God, for helping me to save all these keepsakes.  I never thought I would need them, but am grateful that I saved them now.

James Funeral Mass will be at OLMC on Friday morning at 11:00 preceded by a visitation from 10 AM until the time of Mass.  Friends and family will also be received on Thursday evening from 7-9 PM at Reed and Steinbach Funeral Home.      God Bless James, may he REST IN PEACE.

So following my sad Thursday, on Friday we had a visit from Santa Claus in our Classroom B 101 and he brought a special gift for Mrs. Crowell.  Little booties announcing the arrival of the littlest Crowell on May 8.  The kids were thrilled and one student quickly marked the news in his daily planner.  So Sweet.  He writes down every important date, birthdays and school trips, events and announcements.  You will not find any other information in this student's planner.  It is a life lesson for me, on what is really important....people.

So after Santa's visit and Candy Canes for all thanks to KB, one of my Pride Council (thank you K) we had a visit from our school choir.  They brought Frosty the Snowman and the choir paired up with our students and everyone was singing and smiling.  Then the French class came in and sang Christmas carols in French..   I was overjoyed and filled with the spirit of Christmas.  So festive and touching.
Later, B 101 the radio station played our recorded message from our classroom wishing the Delaware Valley a very HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON... and Jen Ryan from the station announced it was now a holiday tradition!   HO HO HO.

On Friday evening, The Pride, our club at school, had a holiday gathering at one of the Council Member's homes.  We were having a wonderful time, laughing and telling funny stories.  And then all of the sudden I went to use the restroom and saw a few of them go upstairs to the kitchen.  I didn't think anything of it.  When the came back down, they had the most beautiful gift for me.  A collage of inspirational quotes.  In just two short months they learned who I am, and what is meaningful to me.  They gave me a collage of words that touched my heart.  I was so emotional and started to tear up.  They said, we knew this would make you cry.  I told them that I loved them all very much and they responded, we love you too, Mrs. Keane.  (how special is THAT  OMG.... )  I told them they didn't have to do that, and they said, Oh we wanted to!

Yesterday,  Jim and I went to the 8:00 Mass and saw that all three Dunn Men where home for Christmas.  I knew they were coming home, but seeing the five of them together as a family just touched my heart.  God Bless these men who selflessly protect our country and are so devoted to their faith and family, as well.   Tim, Kevin and Tom are my true heroes.  I love them all very much and am grateful for all the sacrifices they are making for our country. 

Then our family went with the Lynch's to our annual Brunch at the William Penn Inn.  It is one of my favorite days of the year.  The meal was excellent, the company jolly and the setting beautiful with all the gold, silver, white and greenery bedecked in a festive Christmas theme.

And now here we are on Christmas Eve.  Such a Holy Night tonight.  May the Peace and Joy of the Christmas Season be abundant in your hearts and may you all experience the magic of the season with childlike wonder.

My wish for you this day, is that you see ever so clearly, the gift of life and love manifested in the world.  And that you allow your inner light to shine brightly guiding others to the realization that We are God's gift to each other in our world.

Merry Christmas!

En ` Joy,

Marialyce

No comments:

Post a Comment