Monday, September 17, 2012

Hello My Friend,
I have been on a wonderful weekend getaway these past few days and did not have access to my computer.  I will share some highlights in a future blog, but for now want to continue with the second of The Four Agreements.  The Second Agreement is Dont' Take Anything Personally.  This can be a very challenging concept to uphold.

What one must accept within this agreement is that what others say and do is a projection of their own dream and has nothing to do with you!  If we accept what others say as truth, than there is a propensity for us to be affected emotionally.  If we choose not to care what others think about us, than their behavior or words will be ineffective.

If others disagree with our beliefs, then often times we try to defend what we ourselves believe.  If someone gets angry with us, it is because they become fearful of the fact that what they believe is being challenged by what we believe.  If we are aware of this then it is possible to dispel the negative energy and choose to think positively.  It seems so simple to do, until we are faced with an actual situation.

I remember being in a situation like this, where I felt that I was being treated poorly.  I didn't know how to change the situation.  It continued to occur and was driving me crazy.  Every time I made a suggestion, it was shot down.  I began to take it personally.  Some said, the reason that my ideas were not looked upon favorably and used was because the people were jealous of my idea.  That explanation just didn't make sense because I was not out to get accolades or any sort of recognition for the idea.  I just wanted the goodness of the idea to prevail.   It was not until someone shared this explanation, that I finally could accept why my ideas were not being valued and was able to move past the situation and on to not taking their dismissal of my idea personally.   Here is what someone said to me, what I wrote down, and what I now KNOW to be my truth.   

"SOMETIMES, FOR SOME REASON, OTHERS FEEL LESS IMPORTANT, WHEN SOMEONE ELSE DOES SOMETHING OF VALUE."     Oh my goodness.....  this is exactly what was happening to me... The others were feeling less important in their position, because I was offering ideas that were good and of value.   Eureka!!!!    From that moment on, I was able to expect that my ideas were not going to be accepted, and decided not to take anything personally.  It, quite frankly, made me feel more worthy of my ideas and free to acknowledge them as good!   It was a life lesson.


And so, on this evening, my wish for all of you, is that you decide not to take anything personally.  You are worthy of your thoughts and ideas and for that reason alone they are good.

En` Joy,

Marialyce

No comments:

Post a Comment